Thursday, May 21, 2009

Another one bites the dust...

Hi all,

I know it has been forever since I last updated this thing - just take it to mean I'm doing good work and have been really busy.

The last month in six short points:
1. My agency and I secured a JM$250,000 grant - funding outreach work for about five years!
2. I got decent MCAT score results.
3. I have made serious progress with my peer education group. After months of struggle, I got them all together and pretty much said 'this is your group now', and it was all I needed to do. We are planning a beach cleanup nearby to raise environmental awareness at the school and in the community. The kids are stoked because they get a beach day, they get media coverage, and they get to skip school. I'm stoked because I have finally made a few breakthroughs with the kids. I am in the youth sector after all, so this feels particularly good. We held a bake sale last friday and made about JM$5,000 - good enough for lunch for about 60 people if we do it properly, in addition to materials to make signs and buy trash bags, etc. More details as they arise~
4. Sad to say the troops are dwindling. Peace Corps Jamaica Group 79, once a strong 52, now stands at 33. Just over 60% of the starting group remains, and I have feelings we haven't seen the end of it. Four of my close friends have left in the last week, and it definitely sucks. The island will be a tad quieter for the next year it seems like! Good news though in the impending return of a close friend of mine, one Ms. Shanna Maloney, PCV, my partner in crime in the Trelawny Guidance Department system. Looking forward to it!
5. Only a few weeks left in the school year! Coming this summer I will be spending all my time working to establish a worthwhile secondary project, something I hope will keep me extra busy through this time next year.
6. My med school application is almost done. I will be applying early decision to the University of Hawaii, and am hoping for good things. If I don't get in, I am looking at post-bac and MPH alternatives.

That's about it - quick update but to the point. Send good vibes! I think rainy season is bringing Eeyore-like vibes for a lot of people. I'm doing great though, but I don't want to be all alone this time next year!

-TG

3 comments:

Janelle said...

you won't be all alone tom! plenty of folks still to go around... and group 80 too :) i'm going to miss you though.

Megan said...

1) i know, I know...parlez-vous anglais is no longer an appropriate title...but i'm lost on ideas. you got any?

2) hypothetically, what airport would one fly into if they were to visit you in Jamaica?

3) i miss your face.

Jesse E. Hunter said...

Congrats on the grant and other successes, Tom. It's great to hear something inspirational from a PCV every now and then. :)