Sunday, July 19, 2009

Year Two: An Introduction

Long post incoming (sorry!) ~ lots has been going on for the past three weeks (I think I have been in every parish since the start of July), and here is a quick update on one of the more notable aspects...

I spent the last four days in Mandeville, Manchester parish, where I will be soon moving to take up a position with the Jamaica Red Cross. Leaving Falmouth will not be easy in any sense of the word, but the potential to do the work I wanted to do when I got here is too much to pass up. I will be drafting my own job description over the next few days, and right now it looks something like this:

HIV/Youth Outreach Worker

Co-facilitation and organization of an HIV Youth Immersion Camp (SPA/VAST Grant) with youth link patrons in Manchester parish High Schools. Participate in ongoing meetings related to promotion and planning of the event, as well as location of resources persons. Camp will include HIV Stigma/Discrimination discussions, youth empowerment forums (ex. Money Management, Motivation, etc.), sports / arts and crafts aimed at motivating youth engagement in Red Cross activities, and more.

Act as a resource person for Manchester parish Red Cross youth links, attending high school meetings when applicable.

Coordinate with Michaela Cameron (Red Cross Mandeville HIV / Youth Employee) on ongoing outreach activities and fit in where appropriate.


Sustainability Advocate

Attend Parish Council, SDC, and other meetings to promote Red Cross Manchester income-generating projects (Ambulance Service, HIV testing, etc.) with the intent of reaching an income generation level high enough to support a paid administrative employee.

Support the transition towards Red Cross Mandeville performing administrative tasks without assistance from the United States Peace Corps.

Attend monthly Red Cross Mandeville meetings (1st Tuesday), and Executive Committee meetings (2nd Tuesday).

Training Associate

Assist with weekly V.A.S.T. (Volunteer Ambulance Service Training), First AID/CPR, and First Responder training courses with Red Cross trainer Andrew McDonald (counterpart). Persons trained include Red Cross Youth Link (High School Clubs) Patrons, Nursing Students, Parents, etc.

Assist in disaster preparedness outreach alongside Lloyd Myrie (Emergency Section Coordinator)

So, yeah. Things are happening. I have the unique opportunity to be exactly who I want to be for the next year, and I plan on making the most of it. As a supplemental list to those tasks mentioned above, I plan to accomplish the following things before leaving Jamaica next July/August:

1. Complete the Reggae Marathon in December in Negril
2. Become a serious pool shark (Mandeville has a ton of pool tables... why not?)
3. Integrate into Mandeville high culture through trips to the country club and organic juice bar (I feel sort of guilty mentioning these things, but if I ever start saving money on this whole escapade there is a squash court in my new town)
4. Learn to cook some mean Indian food - there is an Indian cook shop in town. I plan to become super tight with the chef who has trouble speaking English, and in addition to making him part of my "wolf pack", I will make him teach me to make a mean roti.

Miss you all! I know I say it fairly compulsively now, but please come visit! I've spoken to a ton of you about coming down, but for those of you who are serious I would like to start planning some of these things so I know when I myself can safely leave the country.

-TG


No comments: