Monday, August 3, 2009

Quick Update

I moved to Mandeville on Friday! A lot has happened in the last two weeks, and I don't have enough time to really talk about them, but yeah. I'm in, and I started work today with a First Aid / CPR class in the morning. My first regional Red Cross meeting is tomorrow night, and my first Jamaican ambulance work is scheduled for Wednesday.

It was real tough to leave Trelawny. I will always think of my host family up on the coast as my home away from home. I see Mandeville as a more business-centered experience, and I am fine with that.

I went to the Denbigh Agricultural show yesterday (biggest on the island), where I saw the Prime Minister, lots of cows, some sheep, and had far to many free samples ranging from shrimp to eggs to coffee liquor to callaloo juice to... well, you get the point. I had some awesome jerk pork, too.

Also, I managed to get to the Bloomfield Great House on Friday night for the best meal I've had in country. It is the nicest Great House in the Mandeville area, and known for its cutting edge Caribbean fusion quisine. A bit of a splurge, but quite worth it.

I'll try to update again soon with some pictures ~ I have some of the host family kids I left in Trelawny, some of my new place, and some other random ones.

-TG

No comments: